It is believed that the origins of Lucy Group Ltd reach as far back as 1760. However, the Company has been in existence since 1812 when William Carter opened a shop on Oxford High street, trading as an ironmonger, hardware, brazier and tin plate worker. He moved his business to a new brass and iron foundry in Jericho in 1825, a site which became known as Eagle Works.
The Company prospered with various managers, including William Grafton and a young William Lucy in 1864. William Lucy died in 1873, leaving James Kelley free to buy the business. In 1897, the Lucy name was firmly established when the Company was registered W Lucy & Co. At this time, the Company started to produce what was to become a major growth product of the business - cast iron and steel shelving for libraries, including the Bodleian.
In the early 1900's, John Reid Dick was hired as Managing Director. Mr Dick is recognised as the man who helped secure Lucy's long term future and was the driving force behind the Company's decision to invest in the manufacture of products for the emerging electrical markets.
Gordon Dick, John Dick's son, became Chairman in 1951 and it was under his guidance and tutorage that the business continued to prosper; developing products for a wide range of overseas markets. The two decades between 1970 and 1990 saw Lucy grow into an international company, manufacturing a new range of oil filled high voltage ring main units, making Lucy the biggest manufacturer of this product in the world. The year 1990 marked the end of an era for Lucy, with the death of Gordon Dick, following sixty years of service. He was succeeded as Chairman by his youngest son Richard, the third generation of the family to be involved with the Company. Richard continues as Chairman today, overseeing the Group which employs in excess of 1300 people, with operations in the UK, Saudi Arabia, Dubai, India, China, Thailand, Malaysia and South Africa.